Vienna - paulgleiser

The structure that we see today at Schönbrunn replaced the Imperial Pleasance, a royal hunting lodge, that was devastated by the Turkish siege of Vienna in 1683. Work began in 1696 to rebuild the lodge, partly on the foundations of the predecessor structure.
In 1700, the central portion of the new lodge was ready to be occupied. Work on the side wings faltered and was abandoned in 1711. Schönbrunn came into the hands of Maria Theresa in 1736 and it was under her direction and that of her architect Nikolaus Picassi that Schönbrunn was transformed into a palatial residence, acquiring the appearance that it still has today.

ktbb world tourktbb world tour vschonnbrunn palacevienna

From KTBB World Tour V - Main Gallery