The supposedly celibate Prince-Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau had Altenau Palace built in 1606 as a token of his love for his mistress, Salome Alt. The palace fulfilled its purpose: fifteen children were born of their union, ten of whom survived. After Wolf Dietrich's death, the palace was renamed "Mirabell" by his successor, Markus Sitticus von Hohenems. The palace is known for its gardens, which were opened to the public by Emperor Franz Joseph in 1854.
The Mirabell Palace is now home to the city government of Salzburg.