Robert E. Lee & Young Soldier
The bronze sculpture "Robert E. Lee & Young Solider," by Alexander Phemister Proctor was dedicated on June 12, 1936 in a ceremony that included the unveiling of the sculpture by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. It depicts the Confederate general astride his horse, Traveler, and followed by a young soldier meant to commemorate all of the soldiers who served under Lee's command. The statue was created at the behest of the Dallas Southern Memorial Association, which raised $50,000 (approximately $850,000 today) for its creation. It sat on a pedestal designed by noted Dallas architect Mark Lemmon. The Dallas Southern Memorial Association originally planned to place the sculpture in Dealey Plaza on the western edge of downtown Dallas. But other opinions prevailed and the piece was instead installed at what was then called Oak Lawn Park. A two-thirds replica of the Lee-Custis Mansion that sits prominently overlooking Arlington National Cemetery was also constructed in the park and the park was renamed "Robert E. Lee Park" (and commonly called simply, "Lee Park.") Following a summer of increased racial tensions in the U.S, tensions that led to demands in many quarters to remove monuments to the Confederacy, the Dallas City Council voted 13-1 to remove the Robert E. Lee sculpture and to revert Lee Park to its original name of Oak Lawn Park. Late in the afternoon of Sep. 14, 2017, the sculpture was removed from its pedestal, ending Gen. Lee's 81-year watch over Dallas's Turtle Creek.